Monday, April 02, 2018

Good Neighbors

As I’ve said before and I’ll say forever, I’m all about the ladies on Dorothy Surrenders. But, that doesn’t mean I’m automatically against all men – or all straight white men in particular. Nope, this man-hating lesbian has loved at least two men unconditionally. I loved my father. And I loved Fred Rogers. In fact, when I was a kid and we’d get dressed up for a special occasion where my dad would have to wear a tie, the highest praise I could give him was, “Daddy, you look just like Mr. Rogers.” And that, neighbor, is the truth.

In these troubled and troubling times, it seems like the next tragedy or tragic assault on our civil rights is just a tweet away. So it’s easy to feel frazzled and cynical and angry all the time. Anger is an important motivator. But, if I learned anything from countless hours watching “Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood” when I was little, it’s that kindness is a better one. Thank you, as always, for coming here and sharing your hearts and minds with me all these years. I appreciate all of you more than you’ll probably ever know. Thanks for making this neighborhood always feel like home.

2 comments:

Carmen SanDiego said...

No, DS, thank YOU for hosting this wonderful blog. It’s my first stop every morning. Love this and love you too

Kate said...

He gave my college commencement address. It's perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=907yEkALaAY