Thursday, September 17, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Lesbian Witch Edition

And now, for a real Throwback Thursday. I did a Buffy “Once More with Feeling” soundtrack re-listen not that long ago and, hot damn, if I didn’t still know pretty much all the words. And when it comes to “Under Your Spell,” goodness if that song still doesn’t bring a blush to my face. For something released in 2001 (which, mind you, was before a single state in the U.S. legally recognized same-sex marriages – the first was Massachusetts in 2004) it was wildly progressive and, yes, all kinds of sexy. I mean, hello:

The moon to the tide
I can feel you inside

I'm under your spell
Surging like the sea
Pulled to you so helplessly
I break with every swell
Lost in ecstasy
Spread beneath my willow tree

You make me com-plete
You make me com-plete
You make me com-plete
You make me
Spread beneath my willow tree? Joss Whedon, you dirty bird. And when you couple that with the visuals? Willow disappearing with a smile down south. Tara literally levitating off the bed while singing you make me com…plete. Dirty bird, indeed. Sure, today we’ve got so much more and such varied representations of lesbian and bisexual female characters on TV. But never forget that 14 years ago a lesbian witch made her lesbian witch girlfriend literally float off the bed because, fuck yeah, the sex was that good. Also, you know, the love. But then, they both kind of makes you do the wacky.

1 comment:

Carmen SanDiego said...

I have never noticed the com-plete before. I feel dim now. Thanks for pointing that out